Quondong Cottage Historical Property

Quondong was the first catholic school in Australia to be built from private subscription. The Catholic Church acquired the land in November 1840, from Mary Shiels. It had a gabled hall of plastered brick. The veranda across the front was added later, as were the urns on the round-topped pilaster-buttresses. It was built in 1840 and appears to be named after a Kurrajong tree at the front which was mistakenly believed to be a native Quandong tree.   read more »