This month’s Speaker at our June monthly meeting will be (Dr) Lisa Murray, Historian for the City Of Sydney

The Camden Area Family History Society will hold their next  meeting on Tuesday 6th June, 2017 at 7.30pm at the Camden Historical Society’s Museum in the Camden Library Complex. The speaker will be Dr Lisa Murray, historian for the City of Sydney, who is speaking on “Sydney Cemetery Adventures”  This talk is based on her recently published book, Sydney Cemeteries: a Field Guide.  The book will be available during the evening at $35 per copy. Please note that the meeting this month is being held in the Camden Museum at 7.30pm, 6th June 2017.  Gold coin Donation to cover Supper.  Contact Secretary on 0246559963 for more information.

John Oxley Cottage

John Oxley Cottage is built on land that was originally part of the grant made by Governor Lachlan Macquarie to John Oxley, 1000 acres in 1815 – Kirkham and 850 acres in 1816 – Ellerslie. No record has been found of its original builder but it is a typical “workman’s cottage” thought to have been built in the 1890s as part of a row of similar cottages along the road into Camden.
read more »

Cobbitty Village

Governor Macquarie named this area Cobbedee, and when Gregory Blaxland was granted land here in 1812, he called it Cubbady Farm. The village of Cobbitty, nestled on the Nepean River, attracts much interest because of the lush country views and beautifully kept historic buildings. Stroll through the markets, held on the first Saturday of the month.
read more »

Quondong Cottage Historical Property

Quondong was the first catholic school in Australia to be built from private subscription. The Catholic Church acquired the land in November 1840, from Mary Shiels. It had a gabled hall of plastered brick. The veranda across the front was added later, as were the urns on the round-topped pilaster-buttresses. It was built in 1840 and appears to be named after a Kurrajong tree at the front which was mistakenly believed to be a native Quandong tree.   read more »